Saturday 21 June 2008

Review: Skip Beat!

I love this series by Nakamura Yoshiki. Completely original and the content isn't the same, worn-out, boy meets girl, girl meets boy storyline.

Even though Kyoko works three jobs, can't afford nice clothes and makeup, and doesn't attend high school, she still feels like a fairytale princess because she is living with her very own Prince Charming, her childhood friend and new pop idol Sho.

Unfortunately, Kyoko discovers that Sho's feelings for her are less than glamorous; in fact, he is only interested in her as a maid and housekeeper. On learning this, Kyoko's sweet and innocent dreams are replaced forever by one desperate dream: to get revenge! She will do anything to beat Sho at his own game, show business, whether it be scraping gum off floors or carrying actresses across mountains! But, can getting revenge regain what she has lost: the ability to love?

I came across the series on the "most popular manga" part of Mangafox. Anyway I started reading it partly because of how good the drawings were (I actually cannot read old manga purely because the drawings just put me off) but even in the first few pages of the first chapter it was actually pretty funny.

Not for those that want the soppy, doki doki storyline all the way through... can't talk much cause that includes me at times but this is worth the read! The series is currently ongoing but its a pretty long story so unless you read non-stop you're good for content.

This manga is definitely in my favourites: funny, unique and so cute at the same time, I'd definitely read the first few chapters before deciding on reading/not reading it!

Contributor: Ciemuna

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i am following this series and also waiting for the 2nd season of its anime...hope they release it soon enough coz im already so excited watching it...^_^

Natalia Trujillo said...

Hi, I'm from Mexico...
I ended in your blog, and i have to say that I love it, specially because you have a big pic of Kyoko and Ren. I finished the anime the last week and now I have to wait until the 2nd season reale... :'(